24.1.14

Opposites attract in Malaysia

What can I say, at the first time I had no expectations or much knowledge about a country before I crossed the border and found my little bed in a dorm room in Georgetown in the island of Penang. Malaysia wasn't on my to do list when I was planning my trip, but now I can't be more happier for my expired Thai visa and therefore the force to go to another country. 

I found Georgetown really cultural and interesting. Its streets were full of art, graffitis and little art galleries and museums. It had mosques, Hindu temples, Chinese temples and many more outstanding sightseens.




With amazing luck we ended up there just in time for big Hindu festivals, Thaipusam.
 It was more than I even had time to expect and I saw something the previous day of it what I never had been seen before; A holy man perforated three young men's cheeks with a stick and back with twenty hooks after which they begun a spiritual journey to the mountains as part of the next day's Thaipusam. One of the participants were a woman and she got a stick through her tongue too instead of back hooks. I was photographing and filming this and it turned quite difficult to watch at some points. The thing is that those participants have so much faith that they don't feel the pain as I would if someone put twenty hooks hanging from my back for couple of days. The strength of religion is fascinating. I don't belong in any (a bit of Buddhism) but it's interesting. At the next day we took a one hour bus to the area where Thaipusam were organized and I was amazed by the beauty of hundreds of sarees in different colours on Indian women. India is my next years top one destination but there I felt properly walking on a street in India instead of Malaysia. Indian dancing music were playing loud and I noticed just men were those who danced and women were standing a safe step away. I was wearing a long dress and part of sari draped over my shoulder and a bindi on my forehead like everyone else there. I'm glad my hair is black because I think me and my friends were the only western people there and when one of us were blonde she got lots of looks and words from the Indian men. Thaipusam was about praying, dancing and praying when dancing. Big pictures of Hindu gods and lots of food stalls and Indian clothes, music, jewellery and fun time.



In Malaysia I ate the best food so far since November. I'm so into Indian food that I ate it everyday.. twice, for one week. I don't really know anything better at the moment. Being so bored with Thai food with my gluten and lactose allergies (fried rice and rice noodle soup) Malaysian and Indian food were totally refreshing change. A lot more to choose from.

What I saw and learned were that Malaysia is mixed with Malaysians, Chinese and Indians. Muslims, Taoism and Hinduism. And four different local languages. Malaysia has a cities with skyscrapers, and jungle with over ten meters long trees and mountains. Don't forget Borneo, a part of an big jungle island that belogns to Malaysia. In this country opposites really attract. When I took the four hours bus journey from Georgetown to Cameron highlands I saw the same scenery as in north Thailand. Mountains and green bamboo tree forest. I started immediately feel like home. My journey started over 2 months ago from little villages in north Thailand and it's still a fresh memory in my head. Being a girl who cut bamboo trees with a jungle knife and drank water from them and built huts from leaves and little pieces of cut bamboo makes me feel proud of myself and the experience I had. I feel I may go back, at least I have seven weeks to go still.




Cameron highlands were located on beautiful green mountains and had big tea plantations and lots of to see as bee farm with fresh honey, rose and cactus houses, butterfly farm and many straberry farms. This town were perfect for trekking and discovering the hidden jungle spots and a rare one meter long flower blooming only this time in year.

I spent three nights on mountains and after that I escaped the coldness to the big capital, Kuala Lumpur. Everything were so huge, builings weren't just normal sized, they looked like kilometer long. The city got me excited but in couple of days a little bit stressed. It wasn't so safe and walking alone wasn't a good idea. Lots of men yelling after you while you walk and calling you names and to come to their shops which made walking without getting a bit annoyed impossible. Sometimes they were quite rude and trying to touch which I hate so much even I was properly dressed in long dress and scarf in muslim country. But immediately when I was walking with two guy friends nobody said a word. Thank god I had a great company.

I had a chance to visit Batu Caves during three days stay in the capital. Definately a local cultural site to be seen. But be prepared to climb all the steps, as there are nearly 275 steps in all to get to the top. The cave itself is quite big with Hindu temple inside, a lot of monkeys and their babies which tourists are keen to take photos of. We visited Batu caves just few days after Thaipusam (it is organized in every big city) so it was looking still like after festivals. You could see dead chicken and trash on the ground which weren't yet cleaned away. After those 275 steps back down we ended up strolling we ended up strolling all the little street stalls and I bought a locket with a picture of my favorite Hindu god Ganesha. I'm even thinking of getting a tattoo of it one day.


One week went so fast, as always when you are traveling and I have to say that Malaysia was totally worth of visit for a week. It has multiple attractions to see and things to do. I wish I could go to Borneo one day as well. I'm leaving Malaysia with a a big smile and already miss my favourite local Indian street food place in KL.


Of course the must visit sightseen in KL were the Petronas Towers. They are so majestic but so is the oil company who owns them. Malaysia is so much more developed than Thailand or Vietnam. It's more expensive but there's cheap transportation. Drinking is really expensive but I still don't have to worry about that. Keeping myself away from alcohol has been so nice and easy without hangovers plus saving so much money hih.
Im going to miss this country and its contraries maybe a little bit. Or the food ??!

2 comments: