6.1.14

Ko Lanta, Christmas and dengue fever

Lots of things have happened. After flying back to Thailand from Vietnam I've been volunteering on an island in south Thailand near Krabi called Ko Lanta. Work included all things what has been done in a hostel and bar as being in the reception, taking care of customers, cleaning, being a bartender at the evenings, painting walls and sights, hosting open mic nights and parties, singing and playing or performing in any way in the bar, photographing and downloading them to hostel's Facebook page and promotion for the parties on the beach. First twelve days went really well I liked my job and the beach one minute away. We had quite much work so there was not much time to see other places on the island. The other volunteers were great and I bet I'm going to see them again one day. I loved our little crayzy family with dogs, cats, chicken and a rooster (they weren't so nice waking me up 5am in my room), frogs and one damn long black snake. I was quite used to spiders and snakes in the north Thailand, but this one really was long and scary because you couldn't see that at night because of the black colour. And how nice it would have been stepping on it while I always walked barefoot everywhere.. To the beach, shops, loundry, and it goes on. Speaking of which, I'm glad I haven't still step on any glass, just one little nail. Using shoes or even easy flip flops isn't for me. In Thailand you take them off anyway when you enter to a store. I turned out to be a hippie kid already in Pai so Ko Lanta is a safe place to continue that. Christmas went a little bit different than in Finland. We had really nice dinner but after that a huge parties on the beach and I had so much fun dancing the whole night long with my new Latino and French friends. And we had two Christmas days with Vera because when we celebrate it on 24th, the other volunteers were from countries where they celebrate it at the next day. So we continued partying, easy choice. What was really sweet and what I enjoyed a lot was our secret Santa game, where everyone picked one name and had to buy a gift for him/her. I got Max, and Alaskan nice boy who I made a seashell bracelet for. I got earnings and a secret gift from another alaskan, Grace. Christmas was great, of course I missed my family, but not the cold that much. + 30 was OK for me. ;)

So what happened next ? Well I somehow ended up getting a dengue fever from one bloody mosquito. I should have wore long pants and shirt but no, dresses were more nicer to put on and enjoy the sea breeze and sun, cause dengue mosquitoes bite on day time. Well, I should have, because now I've been in two hospitals for 7 days. It started on the 29th evening when I felt like my bones were going to crack and eyes just burn. I was working in a bar and all I could do was to say that I'm really sorry but I feel like dying. So I went to sleep, which wasn't that easy as two bars plus Thai boxing stadium were playing music all st the same time. No earplugs helped. I started to feel more and more sick in my muscles and bones, my skin was burning but I was freezing. I put all the clothes I had on and went inside of my sleeping bag and two blankets. It didn't help at all. I started to cry because I was hurt so much. It just made my fever rise and when I checked it it was 41 degrees. I knew I was not going to have an easy night.
I'm not going to explain what I did the whole night because it's unnecessary, the necessary thing is that when Vera woke up, or I woke her up by yelling I feel like somebody's cracking my bones and my brains and explaining to her if I don't go now I'm gonna die maybe, we left to hospital. There I got a drip in my hand again, they took a blood test to make sure it was dengue and put me to sleep in a room. I stayed there for one day and night, because on the next day I was transferred to a bigger and better hospital in Phuket with an ambulance. That was certainly my first ambulance ride and in Thailand !
I arrived to Phuket after 4 hours and they took another bloodtest (have to take everyday when dengue) and took me to my room. My platelets were really low from the normal ones which usually couses anemia and bleeding. So my days here went quite same, nurses checking on me and taking tests and giving about 25 medicine in a day. Dengue fever wasn't really my only worry because I somehow had got stomach infection to make things worse.

Now I'm laying here, taking my time to recover and hoping to get well soon. I want to get on the road again and travell. It's what I do best and it's what I love the most. I don't know how many days I need to stay still here but the most important thing is to stay positive and be strong. And I will.

2 comments:

  1. Oh hope you are better now luna, you are strong remember that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank u ! I will keep that in my mind :)

    ReplyDelete