19.1.14

An paradise island (?)

I try to write briefly about an island called Koh Phi Phi located in southern Thailand, between the large island of Phuket and Krabi on the mainland. This was my second time in this island and the first time was just weeks before the Indian Ocean tsunami vanished all most the whole island. Koh Phi Phi w
as devastated by the tsunami of December 2004, when nearly all of the island's infrastructure was destroyed. This time when I arrived in Phi Phi I remembered some places like the beach but could also really see how much they had started to build concrete houses instead of bamboo ones. I wasn't fascinated about these new buildings and how rugged-looking they were but I understand why they are building them.


What comes to the reputation of Phi Phi is quite funny; two weeks holiday travellers with suitcases come there to party from Pukhet or Krabi, heaps of westerns especially English and Swedish people (yes I hanged out with them mostly) gets fucked up by drinking rum or vodka buckets and fighting towards each other in reggae bar's Thai boxing stadium. It was so funny looking when both of the foreigner fighters didn't have any idea how to Thai box correctly. They were kind of hitting each other like little girls and running in a row. But yes, of course you got a free bucket from that.. !


I haven't been drinking anything after I got out from hospital while I'm still taking two different medicines for my liver because of dengue fever. I'm totally fine with that and save so much money for other things.
At night everyone goes to the beach to party, there they got maybe four nice places which of two are clubs and two chilling places (one of them is called Stoned and is really chilled you can lie on the beach and look at the starts and enjoy good vibes). Fire shows start at the evening and are pretty good but when these young Thai guys courage the drunk audience to go jumping on a fire rope it just keeps giving people burns until midnight when dancing begins. It's unbelievable that I have met several people with burns on my travels and when I ask them what happened they all say I got it from stepping on a fire rope or jumping through a fire circle. I secretly wanted to try fire limbo but either burning my face or hair weren't on my to do list, nor going to spend more days in hospital again.



I liked lots of things in Koh Phi Phi, but the most maybe its beautiful scenery I saw from beaches and viewpoints. One day there turned into a six in a blink of an eye. I enjoyed every day the sun, walking long tiny roads to little beaches and meeting wonderful and crazy people from all around the world. I got bunch of new places to go and stay when travelling. It was hard to leave but I knew that going next to Malaysia was something so cool and I couldn't be more excited.

 

I survived from the hectic, expensive and touristic party island by eating again with locals (good tip to keep in mind if you are a backpacker). I found this one plastic chair alley where with 1 euro you got better Thai meals than in "real" restaurants where you spend 4 to 10 euros for the same meals. At these little plastic chair places they cook much more delicious food as well. Of course I have a tight budget but I also love to do things inexpensively. I didn't buy anything else than one bracelet which I want to do in every place I travel. I went to stay in the cheapest dorm room but totally with the best people on the whole island called The Rock. It had graffiti and texts written by people who had stayed there all over from its walls to beds and ceiling. That place really had good vibes in it. After leaving Phi Phi I just got one thing in my mind.. will I visit the island again for the third time one pretty day ? Who knows, this girl has a wild heart and seeks for new adventures so let's see.


No comments:

Post a Comment